Re: can't get Mathematica 5.2 to evaluate anything

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113755] Re: can't get Mathematica 5.2 to evaluate anything
  • From: psycho_dad <s.nesseris at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 06:30:32 -0500 (EST)

On Nov 7, 11:12 am, John Nagelson <johnnagel... at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On Nov 4, 9:05 am, psycho_dad <s.nesse... at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 2, 11:03 am, JohnNagelson<johnnagel... at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > Hi, I'm using Mathematica 5.2 on Win XP Pro SP2. The program opens
> > > fine but when I enter e.g. "2+2" into an input cell and press Shift
> > > +Enter, all I get is "Running...Untitled-1*" in the bar at the top of
> > > the window. Evaluation gets caught in a loop.
>
> > > Choosing Kernel|Abort Evaluation has no effect, so I have to go Kerne=
l|
> > > Quit Kernel|Local, which works.
>
> > > I'd be grateful for any help!
> > > Thanks!
> > > John
>
> > Try uninstalling/reinstalling and also check the firewall if it causes
> > any problems (if some of the firewall settings are too aggressive,
> > then it might block the communication between the kernel and the front
> > end as mathematica uses tcp/ip (an internet protocol) for
> > communication)
>
> Hi and thanks for this. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several
> times, but always get the same problem. Could you or someone please
> help with what firewall settings I might need to change? I'm using PC
> Tools Firewall Plus 6.0.0.88. Thanks!
>
> John

Hi John,
I am sorry for the long delay in replying :)

Regarding the firewall, I am not 100% sure that this is the root of
your problem and more over I am not familiar with PC
Tools Firewall Plus 6.0.0.88. One simple test to see if this causes
the problem, just shut down all firewalls completely including the
windows firewall (not just minimizing it!) and if necessary use alt-
ctrl-del to force it. Then when this is done, run mathematica and do a
simple calculation. If mathematica now works, then your firewall was
the root of the problem and you have to add an exception for
mathematica (see the documentation for your firewall to see how to do
this).

If this fails, I am afraid I have no more clues to help and you should
ask Wolfram support for more help :(

Cheers and good luck!