Re: shooting method, boundary value problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113798] Re: shooting method, boundary value problem
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <Kevin.McCann at umbc.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 00:59:38 -0500 (EST)

This looks like normal modes for sound propagation in a waveguide. At
any rate, you have a 2nd order differential equation with two
conditions. This leads to a unique solution. If you are looking for
normal modes, you probably need to think about solving the more general case
y''[x]+alpha*y[x]==0

For different values of alpha. Here is my attempt.

Manipulate[
  Y = y /. NDSolve[{y''[x] + \[Alpha] y[x] == 0, y[1] == 0,
  Plot[Y[x], {x, 0, 1}, PlotRange -> {-10, 10}]
  ,
  {a, -20, 20}, {\[Alpha], 0, 500, .1}
  ]

used initial conditions at the far end and then manipulate a and alpha.
You could do this automatically with a zero finder approach.

Kevin