Problem with NMinimize and complex values

I want to minimize a function with NMinimize, which has a small
imaginary part when evaluated numerically. The imaginary part is only
a numeric artifact, which I can easily check by increasing the
WorkingPrecision. Still NMinimize complains about the function not
being real. What's the best way to deal with that? A possible solution
is of course Re[] but I suspect that this decreases performance (true/
false?).
TIA
Sebastian