Re: Does activating 8 disable 7?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113941] Re: Does activating 8 disable 7?
  • From: telefunkenvf14 <rgorka at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 07:08:29 -0500 (EST)

On Nov 17, 4:27 am, AES <sieg... at stanford.edu> wrote:
> Mathematica 8 arrived yesterday (that is, I downloaded the 1 GB disk
> image which I get for free through Premier Service).
>
> I'm just starting the drawn-out process of moving from a 2007-vintage
> MacBook running Leopard to a newly purchased MacBook Pro running Snow
> Leopard, doing this one app at a time rather than via a batch
> "migration" in the hope of leaving behind all the cruft that may have
> accumulated in the older MacBook during three previous system upgrades.
>
> If I install and activate Mathematica 8 on the new MacBook Pro (only),
> will that somehow disable or deactivate the copy of Mathematica 7 that's
> been left behind on the old MacBook (both Macs talk to our household
> WiFi LAN)?
>
> Or will it maybe just block one of them from starting up any time the
> other is running?
>
> I'd like to have an overlap period during which the older machine is
> still usable while the newer machine gets up to speed.

I'm betting you'll have NO issues having both versions activated,
especially if you currently have v7 on only one machine. (Premier
service lets you activate on two machines.) As for keeping v7 as a
backup... Just make the switch! I've been using the dev version 8
without major issue (for the last couple of months), and the final
product looks even more refined.

By the way, can I have your old MacBook? :D (poor grad student... sob,
sob...)

-RG