Re: Finding a function that makes it possible to Solve[] a system of equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114054] Re: Finding a function that makes it possible to Solve[] a system of equations
  • From: Daniel Lichtblau <danl at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 07:37:23 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----

This much seems to work. Use the product of square roots for i[x,y], and precompute a Groebner basis.

f = (g*x + y)^h + d*i[x, y];
u1 = a*f - x^2;
u2 = (1 - a)*f - y^2;

i[x_, y_] := x^(1/2)*y^(1/2);
h = 1;

In[37]:= Timing[
 sol = Solve[
    GroebnerBasis[{D[u1, x], D[u2, y]}, {x, y}] == 0, {x, y}];]

Out[37]= {26.364, Null}

This solution is a large object.

In[40]:= LeafCount[sol]
Out[40]= 186365

In[41]:= Length[sol]
Out[41]= 4

Possibly version 8 will allow you to forego the precomputation, but I have not explicitly tried this. It is also possible that it might be able to represent a solution set using the sum of logs variant you propose for i[x,y].

As for determining forms of i[x,y] that meet your requirements in general, that is indeed a mathematics question. Offhand I'm not sure whether Mathematica can be useful for that purpose.

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research