Documentation Center cannot be launched

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114086] Documentation Center cannot be launched
  • From: Ulf-Dietrich Braumann <braumann at uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 05:59:01 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

I suddenly have the surprising effect that pressing F1 or any other
menu-based action to start the documentation center fails on my Win XP
based v7.0.1 installation. In particular, traditional short help texts as
can be obtained like e.g. ?Solve are no longer printed while the front end
starts to hang.

>From my Windows task manager I can see a couple of javaw.exe running
residing within the Mathematica installation, I guess every try to launch
the help system is launching another javaw, however, no help screen is
opening. And, when I kill all those javaw-processes, the formerly hanging
front end comes back to life and issues some more or less expected
"LinkObject::linkd : Unable to communicate with closed link ..." error
message, whereas the kernel is working completely unaffected from those
troubles.

I have tried reinstalling Mathematica 7 (admittedly without a clean
uninstall before), but got no improvement at all. I also have manually
emptied my Local Settings\Temp folder - no effect.

Any help is highly appreciated, thanks in advance - Ulf-Dietrich