Plot function at specific points

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114094] Plot function at specific points
  • From: István Zachar <zac at freemail.hu>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 06:00:36 -0500 (EST)

Dear Group,

is there a method to plot an InterpolatingFunction at specific pointr
WITHIN Plot? I am of course aware that I can use ListPlot at any time,
though for certain reasons I have to stick with Plot. The main reason
is that I have a large amount of InterpolatingFunctions which I plot
with Plot as default, though at request I have to plot the same
InterpolatingFunctions at different resolutions. PlotPoints and
MaxRecursion is no good here, since lower resolution has to use a
certain set of x-values, defined prior to plotting. Obviously I want
to use the same Plot setup for both high and low-resolution cases.
Below is a toy modell of the problem:

f = Interpolation[{{0, 1}, {1, 2}, {2, 3}, {3, 5}, {4, 8}, {5, 5}, {6,
lowRes = Range[0, 10, 2];
Plot[f[x], {x, 0, 10}, PlotRange -> {{0, 10}, {0, 9}}]
ListLinePlot[{#, f@#} & /@ lowRes, PlotRange -> {{0, 10}, {0, 9}}]

Again, what I want is to have a specific Plot call instead of the
ListLinePlot, but with same result as ListLinePlot.
Note that values of 'lowRes' may not correspond the exact x-
coordinates supplied to f.

Is there a way to tell Plot explicitly the steps to use? Any idea?

Istvan