Re: Image Analysis: identifying objects with Mathematica 7.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114133] Re: Image Analysis: identifying objects with Mathematica 7.0
  • From: Matthias Odisio <matthias at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 07:01:34 -0500 (EST)

All,

Mathematica 8 sheds new light on this old thread:

On 4/15/09 9:04 AM, Matthias Odisio wrote:
> Gideon,
>
> GidiL wrote:
>> Hi All!
>>
>> I would appreciate any input on the following problem:
>>
>> After scanning my samples with TEM, I get images (JPEG or TIFF) which
>> contain many  dimmers, e.g. gold nanoparticles connected via some
>> other molecule.
>> Approximately half of the popoulation is that of dimmers, while the
>> other half contains trimmers, monomers, etc. I would like to run some
>> statistics on the samples.
>> I read Theodore Gray's post in the Wolfram Blog about the new
>> capabilities of image processing in Mathematica 7.0.1 and I would like
>> to ask if it is possible to do the following in Mathematica:
>>
>> Pick out a square that contains the dimmers, define that square as a
>> new image, and then let Mathematica search for such an image within
>> the original image.
>
> Yes, it is possible.
>
> You can use ImageCorrelate; if the appearance of the dimmers varies a
> lot in the image, this approach may not be good. You can then revert to
> ImageFilter with a more robust template matching function.

As of Mathematica 8, ImageCorrelate is equipped with most of these
robust template matching functions, e.g. as used in (J.P. Lewis,
"Fast Normalized Cross-Correlation"), etc.
Moreover, as a convenience the second argument of ImageCorrelate may
now be an image, ie. the template or pattern you want to find matches
of. See the documentation at:
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/ImageCorrelate.html

That being said, if my memory does not fail me, Gideon's specific
problem is perhaps better solved using various morphological
functions followed by queries to ComponentMeasurements.

Matthias Odisio
Wolfram Research