Re: Efficient search for bounding list elements

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114168] Re: Efficient search for bounding list elements
  • From: Daniel Lichtblau <danl at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 05:26:36 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----

If you are dealing with numbers of machine size (integers or reals), then a compiled binary search is fast. Even an uncompiled one seems reasonable.

binarySearchC =
  Compile[{{ll, _Integer, 1}, {val, _Integer}},
   Module[{len = Length[ll], j = 1, lo = 1, hi, mid},
    If[len < 20,
     While[j < len && ll[[j]] < val, j++];
     {j, j + 1}
     ,
     hi = len;
     While[hi - lo > 1, mid = Round[(hi + lo)/2.];
      If[ll[[mid]] < val, lo = mid, hi = mid];];
     {lo, hi}]]];

Test on a list of a million entries spaced 10 apart. We'll run 100,000 examples and time the lot.

mylist = 10*Range[10^6];
rand = RandomInteger[10^7, 10^5];

In[36]:= Timing[indices = Map[binarySearchC[mylist, #] &, rand];]
Out[36]= {1.201, Null}

A version that avoids Compile took around 20 seconds on the same machine.

If you intend to locate many inputs at once in the same ordered list, it is slightly faster to use a function that takes a list as a second argument.

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research