3D Solids

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114260] 3D Solids
  • From: brien colwell <xcolwell at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 06:07:17 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

I'm exploring Mathematica as a tool to design 3D solids. The shape I'm
working on now is a cylindric solid with a few cylinders bored out of
the side (like screw holes into a cylinder). So far, I've figured out
that I can use RegionPlot3D to do this, since the shape specification
is a boolean expression. However, since RegionPlot3D is based on
sampling, sometimes artifacts show up in the model. Since I have
expressions for all the surfaces, I'm thinking that adding /
subtracting 3D solids "at the mesh level" would be better.  Are there
functions in Mathematica to specify 3D solids? For example, a
rectangle twisted around a spiral axis (for threading). I'm wondering
if anyone has experience doing this kind of thing in Mathematica. I'd
love to hear your approach and tools of choice.

TIA, Brien