Re: Mathematica "Fresh Start" on a new computer?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112836] Re: Mathematica "Fresh Start" on a new computer?
  • From: Dan <dflatin at rcn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 05:46:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Oct 1, 5:40 am, AES <sieg... at stanford.edu> wrote:
> Moving to a newly purchased MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard OS, from an
> much older MacBook with Leopard OS and probably a decade's worth of
> remnants of older systems, unused apps, earlier software upgrades,
> partially removed software, and other cruft.  So:
>
> 1)  Is there a simple way (a "deinstall" option) to remove _all_ traces
> of Mathematica app and supporting files from older machine, before migrating to
> the newer machine?   (I don't mind losing any customizations I've done
> or prefs I've set; and I'll save all my personal .nb notebooks
> separately).
>
> 2)  If not, then a way to find and remove all Mathematica-related files
> manually?  (.)
>
> 3)  Since I have the Mathematica 7.0.1 CD and know the serial and license
> numbers, I don't expect any trouble reinstalling it on the new machine
> -- but just in case, are there any special  de-authorizing or
> re-authorizing steps required?  (All the crap with Apple's iPod and iPad
> authorization nonsense has me spooked.)

One of the beauties of upgrading your hardware from a previous MacBook
is that you can attach your old laptop to your new machine like an
external hard disk. Just power down your old laptop, attach with a
FireWire cable, and reboot holding the command-T keys down. Mac OS X
goes one step further and provides a migration assistant to move all
your applications, files, and settings over to the new machine. While
I do not have a specific recipe for uninstalling Mathematica, I can
recommend a very nice uninstaller tool: AppZapper. This program will
seek out all the associated files, show you where they are, and, at
your command, delete them for you. It is a well thought out
application, recently recognized on DaringFireball.net. For what it is
worth, though, I think the only directory of associated files aside
from the Mathematica.app bundle itself is ~/Library/Mathematica.

Dan