Re: change the base of the Log[] used by LogLogPlot?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112946] Re: change the base of the Log[] used by LogLogPlot?
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 03:36:41 -0400 (EDT)

On 10/6/2010 9:15 AM, Brett Champion wrote:
> On Oct 6, 2010, at 11:07 AM, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:

>>> Nope.  LogPlot uses Log.
>>>
>>> I'm curious as to why you want to switch to Log10 since the plot
>>> would
>>> end up looking exactly the same.
>>>

>> But not if x is linear and y is log, then the plot are not the same:
>>
>> ----loglinear-------
>> x = {1, 2, 3, 4};
>> data1 = Table[{x, Log[10, x]}, {x, 1, 10}];
>> data2 = Table[{x, Log[x]}, {x, 1, 10}];
>> Show[{ListPlot[data1, PlotStyle ->  Red, Joined ->  True],
>>    ListPlot[data2, Joined ->  True]}]
>> ---------------------
>>
>> any way, not too important, just was wondering ;)
>

> My point is that these look the same:
>
> {ListPlot[data1, PlotStyle ->  Red, Joined ->  True],
>    ListPlot[data2, Joined ->  True]}
>
> (ignoring the ticks which get adjusted anyway.)
>
> Brett Champion
> Wolfram Research

When you say "these", you seem to have used the loglog version. Yes.

But when x is linear, and y is log (like Mathematica LogPlot), then
different bases used for the log make a different looking plots.  (how
can y=log(10,x) = log(x) ?), different y values for same x value result:

Please see screen shot.

http://12000.org/tmp/oct62010/Untitled.png

For the loglog, yes, becuase both are scaled same way. But then have to
adjust ticks.

Thanks,

--Nasser