Importing "Plaintext" from PDF

Hi,

I'm attempting to use Mathematica (v7.01) to Import the text from a PDF file.
If I simply Import[] the file, it returns a list of graphics objects
representing each page of the file. If I use use "Plaintext" option of
Import[], it returns an empty list. My source pdf files were obtained
from Google's Patent Search function. Just wondering if I there is
some option I am missing or if Mathematica cannot Import text from pdf files.

Thanks,

Mark