Re: FindRoots?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112305] Re: FindRoots?
  • From: Mark McClure <mcmcclur at unca.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 01:00:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 3:26 AM, Andrzej Kozlowski <akozlowski at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, as far as I can tell, none of these concern not "packages" that are
> already available for download from the Internet (free or not). I think such
> cases are very different and normally the authors should take full
> responsibility for them themselves. There may be of course exceptions
> (arguably Combinatorica was one of them) but they should be v. rare.

I'm not sure what your point is, since I can't really tell what your
first sentence means.  I can say that all the specific examples I
referred to began life as independent packages (available either on
the internet or as book supplements) and have subsequently become part
of the Mathematica proper.

I'm not particularly arguing that the RootSearch package should be
licensed by Wolfram Research.  I'm simply stating the fact that there
is plenty of precedent for such a move.

> It really very much depends what you mean by "algebraic".

I mean that, when given exact input, it returns exact results, rather
than numerical approximations.  Even if a numerical integral is used
to determine the number of zeros (as in your example), the result is
exact.  (Perhaps, I should have said exact. :) )

Mark