Re: Why Row does not format 2 plots in one row when ImageSize->Full?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112486] Re: Why Row does not format 2 plots in one row when ImageSize->Full?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 06:40:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 05:58:36 -0400 (EDT), AES wrote:
> In article <i6q0rh$ld5$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
> "Carl K. Woll" <carlw at wolfram.com> wrote:
>

>> The main difference is that Row allows linebreaks, whereas GraphicsRow
>> does not. So, GraphicsRow will shrink it's contents so that they all fit
>> on one line, while Row won't.
>>

> This is a beautiful example of the kind of simple, terse, plain-English,
> easy to remember statement that ought to go in a "Warnings" or "Notes"
> or something section of the Help messages for Row and GraphicsRow.
>
> [The kind of section argued for in earlier debates on this NG.]
>
> I'll grant that this information is there in these Help messages as they
> stand (I just looked at both of them) -- but it ain't easy to pull it
> out of them, quickly and clearly, especially for an "ordinary user".

You've leveled many quite fair criticisms at the Mathematica documentation over
the last couple of years (some of which have inspired changes to the
documentation for future versions, incidentally).  This is not one of them.

The behavior of Row is described in the very first line of documentation which
shows up on the page, which is also part of the usage message.  I.e.,

Row[{expr1,expr2,...}] is an object that formats with the expri arranged in a
row, ***potentially extending over several lines***.

(emphasis mine)

Not to mention the fact that it is mentioned again as the third bullet point
under "More Information", and then demonstrated explicitly as the very first
example under the Scope examples.

I don't know how this explanation in the very first line of documentation text
could possibly beat some sort of message hidden in a "Warnings" or "Notes"
section.  In fact, I wouldn't dare to put such a message there because why
should I "warn" people about something which was clearly documented in the usage
message?

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com