Re: Using Mathematica remotely (installed on Mac, to be accessed from X)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112636] Re: Using Mathematica remotely (installed on Mac, to be accessed from X)
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 07:09:26 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> On 21 Sep, 2010,at 11:50 AM, Peter Lindsay <pl0 at me.com> wrote:
>
> use something like "Chicken of the VNC" [ seriously ] to screen-share remotely.
> =C2
> That would be a solution, but I find VNC to be very slow from "here" to my home machine and I don't need my desktop. Also the VNC connection from a Windows to Mac is not that good -- unfortunately.

Interesting, but have you indication that an X11 connection would
actually work better? I hardly remember why but some years ago I
preferred to use vnc connection over X11 from linux to linux boxes but
probably that was not for performance reasons but because it was more
convenient and stable. I use vnc still a lot (now from windows to
windows) and found that reducing the resolution of the vncserver will
help a lot with performance if that is an issue, and for remote access
to Mathematica run in full screen mode a relatively small resolution
should be sufficient...

hth,

albert