Difficulty with Interpolation / FunctionInterpolation

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg112761] Difficulty with Interpolation / FunctionInterpolation
  • From: Thomas Melehan <tpmelehan at>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 04:16:07 -0400 (EDT)

I am trying to calculate the volume under a given topography.  The data
I have is topographic lines with {x,y,z} coordinates that are not on any
grid pattern.  I am trying to utilize Interpolation or
FunctionInterpolation to create an InterpolatingFunction for use in
NIntegration.  It seems that since the data points are not well arranged
I get the following message:

Interpolation::"indim" : "
  StyleBox[\"\"\", \"MT\"]  The coordinates do not lie on a structured
tensor \
product grid "

Does anyone have suggestion as to how I could sort the data to get the
Interpolation to work?