Re: Mathematica 8.01 and the CDF plug-in

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117858] Re: Mathematica 8.01 and the CDF plug-in
  • From: Fonseca <public at fonseca.info>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 02:40:22 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I had no problem with the tests I've done.

I was also able to get into an unique mht file the cdf, a java script
that checks if the player is installed, and an image that appears if
it is not installed, and explains how to proceed (links to wolfram's
download).

To get a little closer to unreadable source code, each of these files
(cdf, js, png) were transformed into base64 (using Mathematica
itself), and only after, manually registered inside the mht file (lost
some time trying to figure out how this works; if someone knows of a
tool to edit this kind of files, and that manages the base64 option ,
I would greatly appreciate to know about it).

I then sent the mht file to a couple of people that didn't had
Mathematica or any player installed, and everything went as expected.

I also thought of a way of placing inside the mht file, the cdf player
itself, but I think that would violate the distribution license.

I ended up very happy with the toy I made, but it is completely
useless since it doesn't have strong encryption, neither a way of
controlling access to it (signed computer id license, usb dongle,
etc).

And I can also say (or probably insist) that my colleagues, although
they liked the sliders, and locators, they also saw it as a toy, and
nothing more, since they could not get data into it, or save data from
it, or better, interact with it from a different environment (the way
I see it, there is absolutely no integration on this technology, and
integration is or has been the way of the future...).

I can send you an example when I get back to the office (can't send
you my first trial because it has proprietary knowledge, and as you
know, there's no strong encryption...).

Regards,
P. Fonseca