Re: Mathematica 8.01 and the CDF plug-in

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117948] Re: Mathematica 8.01 and the CDF plug-in
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 06:44:18 -0400 (EDT)
On 4 Apr 2011, at 12:31, Albert Retey wrote:

> Maybe you should try first to open the files within the standalone
> CDF-Player (not within the plugin). The plugin seems to have some
> further restrictions compared to the standalone CDF-Player, e.g. a
> simple MessageDialog did not work in the plugin for me. For simple cases
> that probably shouldn't make a difference though. Also if you have
> Mathematica and the Player installed I think the plugin will by default
> use Mathematica, not the Player, so in that case you are testing the
> plugin+Mathematica, not the plugin+Player.

Yes, I see the reason for my confusion. I never downloaded the CDF-Player and tried to open local .cdf file with a browser. Apparently this does not work with locally stored files but it does work with files embedded in web pages.
Sorry about that, I guess I should have know it (Although I other formats do not always behave this way. For example, once used  to be able to open locally stored djvu files with a browser and a djvu plugin but now I have to use a separate stand alone application while the plugin works only with embedded files.)

Andrzej Kozlowski