Interpolation on a triangular region

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117945] Interpolation on a triangular region
  • From: Nabeel Butt <nabeel.butt at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 06:43:45 -0400 (EDT)

Dear All,
      It seems to me as if Mathematica's Interpolation [  ] was designed for
square or rectangular regions.An example of this type would be
Interpolation[Table[{{x,y},f[x,y]},{x,0,1,0.1},{y,0,1,0.1}]].Now if I have a
slightly non-rectangular region say a triangular region for
Interpolation[Table[{{x,y},f[x,y]},{x,0,1,0.1},{y,0,1-x,0.1}]] -Mathematica
just gives a warning but still interpolates the data albeit with linear
order.Anyways , in this example it worked.However , with larger data sets
and in parallel program making use of triangular interpolation many times my
program either freezes or kernel shuts-does not happen with rectangular
region. Any ideas of how to interpolate on triangular regions or even
arbitrary non-rectangular regions using built-in features efficiently? Now I
know from numerical analysis texts that this is not a difficult task but I
am just looking for good built-in functions or even packages that could help
me .
    Thanks !
            Nabeel

--
"We have not succeeded in answering all our problems.The answers we have
found only serve to raise a whole set of new questions.In some ways we feel

Nabeel Butt
UWO,London
Ontario, Canada