package construction

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117995] package construction
  • From: Jack L Goldberg 1 <jackgold at umich.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 08:07:34 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Folks,

Sjoerd's comments and Maeder's book do describe the form every package
could take and it is indeed easy to do.  However, I muddled things up
a bit.  My issue is what to do with the code (say Collatz - as
described by Sjoerd) after you construct it.  Where do I put it? what
do I call it? are the cells in the right form? and so on.  This is the
issue I thought I was addressing but re-reading my post, I can see how
I confused the matter.

Of course, if were as simple as following the Collatz's example, there
would be very few questions about package construction.  I may be
wrong, but every month or so, someone posts a question about package
construction that hinges on what to do AFTER you have done the coding.
  Need one really have to open things like Option Inspector or other
menu items to correctly install a package?

Please keep in mind that I know it can be done, and I know it is not
too difficult but I thought my metaphor using a digital camera with
automatic vs. manual controls describes the motive behind my comments