Re: why extending numbers by zeros instead of dropping precision

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118017] Re: why extending numbers by zeros instead of dropping precision
  • From: Daniel Lichtblau <danl at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 07:10:32 -0400 (EDT)

Richard Fateman wrote:
> [...]
>> although appreciation of the problem goes back farther (why did the
>> ENIAC have ten digit accumulators?).
>
> You might refer to MANIAC, which had significance arithmetic, and also
> lost out.
>>> Oh, as for subtraction being a problem... Typically if you subtract two
>>> nearly equal items you get a small quantity.  The small quantity is not
>>> troublesome if you add it to something that is not so small.  What
>>> sometimes happens is that you do something ELSE.  Like divide by it.
>>> That is more likely to cause problems.
>> Exactly. That's a very common issue in numerical analysis. And that's
>> why your "hardly ever" assertion is silly.
>
> I recommend you look at the Kahan paper, which would explain to you this
> issue.

For those with an interest in the computer arithmetic of our
predecessors (that is to say, a predilection for precise pronouncements
about our processor's predecessors), there is a paper (scanned pdf) from
1962 describing MANIAC III arithmetic, available from the URL below.

http://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/10.1109/AFIPS.1962.31

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research