Managing your notebooks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118018] Managing your notebooks
  • From: Jason Quinn <jason.lee.quinn at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 07:10:43 -0400 (EDT)

I was curious if anybody would be willing to share there strategy for
managing their Mathematica notebook versions.

In my experience, Mathematica notebooks are "fragile" because running
the code is not cleanly separated from using the code. Notebooks
indicate modification after a cell is run even if no changes to the
code were made. In practice, after using a notebook for a while, it's
easy to forget if changes were actually made that you would want to
keep, so when you are prompted to save a notebook, you are left with a
dilemma. Staying safe, you save again and again which leads to a
proliferation of versions.

I am aware you can make cells edit protected but this doesn't solve
the problem. I also know about the "Notebook history" feature, which
seems to be of very limited value. I always end up with so many
"versions" of my notebooks that I forget what the differences between
them are.

I can't help but feel that I'm missing something. I have no problems
managing compiled code or interpreted scripts but notebooks are much
more challenging. Is this something you experience as well. Have you
too noticed extra difficulty managing your mathematica notebooks?

Comments? Suggestions?
Jason