Wolfram Library Archive: resume-able downloading of files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118031] Wolfram Library Archive: resume-able downloading of files
  • From: Alexey <lehin.p at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 07:13:04 -0400 (EDT)

Good day,

This question about accessing files from the Wolfram Library Archive

http://library.wolfram.com/

The problem is that by default when a user tries to download files
from this server it does not support resume-able (partial) downloading
of files. This is big trouble for users who have unstable Internet
connection. Recently I have discovered that some files in this archive
are mirrored in other directories on the Wolfram server with direct
links and support for resume-able (partial) downloading. For example
the file "UnevaluatedExpressions.nb" from the page

http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/Conferences/377/

could be directly downloaded from the page

http://library.wolfram.com/conferences/devconf99/#programming

with support for resume-able downloading:

http://library.wolfram.com/conferences/devconf99/villegas/UnevaluatedExpressions.nb

This is just an example. In this particular case I have no any
problems with downloading of the file because the file is small. But
many files in the Wolfram Library Archive have size tens of megabytes.
Having unstable Internet connection through cellular telephone it is
very annoying to see breaks of the connection because the user is
forced to try downloading the file again from the start or do not
download it at all. From the other side, unstable Internet connection
is not a big problem when server supports partial downloading of files
(for example, famous utility named "wget" completely solves the
problem in this case).

So my question: is there a method to be able to download files from
the Wolfram Library Archive with support for resume-able (partial)
downloading? Or is there a method to find another (mirror) link to
file with support for partial downloading (as in the example above)?