Variables with underscore or subscript

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118280] Variables with underscore or subscript
  • From: "Christopher O. Young" <cy56 at comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 04:26:56 -0400 (EDT)

I have a lot of data for complex numbers (from Graphing Calculator) that I'm
trying to important into Mathematica as points. That's 2D lists, I believe.

'c=F0=9D=9F=B7'_1=1.796875+1.34375*i
'c=F0=9D=9F=B7'_2=2.15625+1.34375*i
.. . .

'c=F0=9D=9F=B8'_3=2.359375+1.1875*i

Mathematica won't allow me to use the underscore as variable names:

c_ 1={2,2}

Set::write: Tag Times in 1 c_ is Protected. >>
{2,2}

I'd like to have subscripted variables such as this:

In[19]:= Subscript[c1, 1] = {2, 3}

Out[19]= {2, 3}

Is this what I should convert my entries to? I.e., I have to enter
"Subscript" and the square brackets, etc. every time I want to have a
subscripted variable?