Re: trouble printing to PDF

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118303] Re: trouble printing to PDF
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 03:09:57 -0400 (EDT)

In article <iom5i6$2f$1 at smc.vnet.net>, John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
wrote:

> The problem is, we can only get the system to draw these controls at the
> resolution of the screen.  Which is fine for exporting raster formats, but
> causes problems when you're exporting to a vector format like PDF, or to a
> much higher resolution device like a printer.
>
> So, for printing and exporting to PDF, we have an alternative "generic" set
> of  control appearances.  They don't look as pretty as most of the
> platform-dependent appearances, but they're absolutely resolution
> independent.

Haven't yet gotten very far into creating plots within a Manipulate,
then exporting randomly selected instances of those plots (i.e., plots
made at different control settings) to PDF, but could see wanting to do
a lot more of this.  So:

1)  Possible option in Manipulate that will cause it to always draw
everything in resolution independent form?

2)  Or, template for an added button control within a Manipulate (or in
a separate palette) that will cause currently active Manipulate to
export its output to PDF in res independent form (with options to show
or not show all the controls)?