Re: trouble printing to PDF

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118312] Re: trouble printing to PDF
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 03:11:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 15:15:15 +0200, E. Martin-Serrano wrote:
> Thanks  John,
>
> See my comments below.

To be clear, I'm not at all accusing you of doing something wrong.  I'm simply
saying that these sorts of issues are often difficult to understand without
explicit examples.

> Understood;  but, the problem is probably worse than the mere different
> appearance of the mentioned items (sliders, manipulators, panels, ...),
> which is very noticeable in any case (always talking about PDFs):  the
> difference is big  and  in addition the info in the input/output fields
> associated to those objects  looks displaced from its expected position
> and partially hidden. If you want I can send you a PDF plus the original
> notebook picture and a Windows7 cut and pasted picture from the notebook
> original picture; the three pieces together are very illustrative, and
> you will see that the result, as it looks there, is pretty strange.  So
> you can judge if the issue deserves to be forwarded to the Technical
> Support. I insist in what I said above: I was just wondering, however I
> have tried several versions of the picture with the same result.

Well, you can feel free to send it to me (although it would be much preferable
if you sent the original notebook, which allows me to recreate the problem).
But there's no need for me to referee whether or not this should go to Tech
Support.  After all, they get paid to field these sorts of things full-time,
while I just post to MathGroup when I can between doing the things Wolfram
actually pays me to do!

> Not. I am not suggesting that plots in Manipulate are inferior. I am
> saying that just,  if dumped to PDF,  "my" otherwise fine background and
> frame lines of plots as inserted in "my" panels appear in the reddish
> color that one gests when the plot is badly defined and an error is
> returned by Mathematica.  On the other hand,  I rarely use Manipulate
> except for very simple examples, and I do not remember having dumped them
> to PDF.

Well, that may just be a bug.  I encourage you to report it to Tech Support.

> E. Martin-Serrano

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com