Re: Expected value of the Geometric distribution

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118477] Re: Expected value of the Geometric distribution
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 07:32:33 -0400 (EDT)

GeometricDistribution is a discrete distribution

dist = GeometricDistribution[p];

Mean[dist]

-1 + 1/p

Sum[k*PDF[dist, k], {k, 0, Infinity}]

(1 - p)/p

% == %% // Simplify

True

Bob Hanlon

---- Tonja Krueger <tonja.krueger at web.de> wrote:

=============
Hi all,
I want to calculate expected value of diverse distributions like the Geometric distribution (for example).
As I understand this, the expected value is the integral of the density function *x.
But when I try to calculate this:
Integrate[(1-p)^k*p*k,k]
I get this as the answer:
((1 - p)^k p (-1 + k Log[1 - p]))/Log[1 - p]^2
Instead of: (1-p)/p.
I would be so grateful if someone could explain to me what I'm doing wrong.
Tonja
Empfehlen Sie WEB.DE DSL Ihren Freunden und Bekannten und wir
belohnen Sie mit bis zu 50,- Euro! https://freundschaftswerbung.web.de