Drawing wiggly or jagged lines?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120731] Drawing wiggly or jagged lines?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 04:19:00 -0400 (EDT)

One sometimes wants to draw a randomly jagged line or a smooth but
randomly wiggly line across the end of an object (to indicate that a
waveguide or a rod or a region continues onward indefinitely, for
example), or several similar lines to indicate a region or an object
with irregular boundaries.

>From a quick look, it appears that Mathematica's Bezier commands
provide the tools to draw lines like this in Mathematica -- but I'd
also ask if others on this group have alternative suggestions?

Also, if I export a graphic containing lines drawn using the Bezier
capability into PDF or AI format and then open that graphic in
Illustrator, do the points on the Bezier curves actually function as
"smooth anchor points" or "corner anchor points)" for the line in the
usual Illustrator sense, so that one can further adjust the line
profile by hand