Re: Textbook recommendation?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120786] Re: Textbook recommendation?
  • From: "McHale, Paul" <Paul.McHale at excelitas.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 06:45:51 -0400 (EDT)

I don't know what you want to do with Mathematica, So I will assume you have general interest in first use.

The Beginner's Guide to Mathematica 4, Jerry Glynn & Theodore Gray
Good beginner information about general use and why they did some of the things they did.

Mathematica Navigator: Mathematics, Statistics and Graphics, Third Edition by Heikki Ruskeepaa
Excellent book on howto for just about everything.  Essential reference book.

Mathematica=AE: A Problem-Centered Approach (Springer Undergraduate Mathematics Series) by Roozbeh Hazrat
Great book with problem and exercise approach.  I think it definitely reinforces the easiest way to program with Mathematica.  Think more mathematically and less algorithmically.

An Introduction to Programming with Mathematica=AE by Paul R. Wellin, Richard J. Gaylord and Samuel N. Kamin
Excellent book.  Covers Mathematica as a programming language with some great exercises.

I think these are excellent books.  I have more and have learned something from every one of them.  The bottom three books are the ones I would be least willing to part with.  If damaged, I would buy them again.

Paul McHale  |  Electrical Engineer, Energetics Systems  |  Excelitas Technologies Corp.

Phone:   +1 937.865.3004   |   Fax:  +1 937.865.5170   |   Mobile:   +1 937.371.2828
1100 Vanguard Blvd, Miamisburg, Ohio 45342-0312 USA
Paul.McHale at Excelitas.com
www.excelitas.com

This email message and any attachments are confidential and proprietary to Excelitas Technologies Corp. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please inform the sender by replying to this email or sending a message to the sender and destroy the message and any attachments.
Thank you