Re: Getting TraditionalForm to put in a multiplication sign.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120784] Re: Getting TraditionalForm to put in a multiplication sign.
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 06:45:29 -0400 (EDT)

Center dot is not at all uncommon in strictly mathematical context, and
for any kind of multiplication-like operation.

I've been doing math for far longer than 40 years, and I never
encountered the * for multiplication of ordinary numbers before I first
began programming with FORTRAN (my first computer language after
assembly) in 1959.

The * is, however, and long has been, used in mathematical discourse to
denote an arbitrary operation in a group or monoid or whatever --
precisely because it's NOT the usual multiplication sign for numbers.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305