MathGroup Archive 2011

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: Getting the Date and Time From a Time Server

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120910] Re: Getting the Date and Time From a Time Server
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 20:21:03 -0400 (EDT)
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@mail-archive0.wolfram.com
  • References: <201108131047.GAA25453@smc.vnet.net>

Thanks Bobby,

Yes, most computers are connected and do keep time in between syncs.  But it is easy for a student, who was supposed to submit something by a deadline but is late, to reset their clock and calendar, and create a file that is backdated to before the deadline.  If my submission system works on the client side, with Mathematica putting a date- and time-stamp in the file at their machine, it is a problem.  Of course, when the file arrives at my machine, it will be given a creation date and time according to my systems settings, which will be correct, or at least consistent across submissions, as long as I am in sync.  I just thought it would be nice to have the stamp right in the file (client), but it is certainly no problem for me to loop through the submissions on my side to make sure that the dates and times make sense.

I just wanted to experiment with both.

Regards,

Gregory

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011, at 1:48 PM, DrMajorBob wrote:

> My computer is almost always connected to the Internet, and it keeps time (like any clock) between synchs.
> 
> I doubt that retrieving time from the Internet can be more accurate, given the communication latencies involved.
> 
> Do you think Import from a URL is instantaneous?
> 
> Bobby

• Prev by Date: Re: Map legend
  • Next by Date: Re: Double Clicking (was: Just another Mathematica "Gotcha")
  • Previous by thread: Re: Getting the Date and Time From a Time Server
  • Next by thread: Re: Getting the Date and Time From a Time Server