Re: Getting the Date and Time From a Time Server

CellPrint[
 Cell[Import["http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/timer.pl";], "Text",
  CellTags -> "TimeStamp", Editable -> False,
  TrackCellChangeTimes -> True, ShowCellBracket -> False,
  CellOpen -> True, Deletable -> False, Copyable -> False,
  Selectable -> False, Deployed -> True]]

For the purposed of demonstration CellOpen -> True but if you intend to use
this you would want to set this option to CellOpen -> False. You may want to
hide the output from the student.

Apparently you need the timestamp when a student claims they have finished a
project. This way you don't track every action. You just want to be fair and
make certain that everyone has made the deadline.

If notebook history is turned on then using the "Cell > Notebook History
..." may also help.

Also see if

"Prefences > Internet Connectivity > Proxy Settings > Direct Connection to
the Internet" works for other solutions offered. It may be the proxy setting
blocking you ports.

The following URL were usable from my browser, most were not usable in the
Import function
http://www.atomictime.net:1313/
http://www.atomictime.net/time_tel.html?2
http://www.atomictime.net/time_tel.html?4
http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/timer.pl * (Usable with Import)
http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/anim
http://nist.time.gov:8013/
This port return number of milliseconds since {1970,1,1,0,0,0}

Hans