Re: Replace

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121076] Re: Replace
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 05:24:15 -0400 (EDT)

Did you make a typographic error and really mean to type "5/6"? While an
expression such as (5|6) is a legitimate Mathematica expression, it is
not evaluated further with those arguments. However, the | symbol is a
special input for for the function Alternatives, which may be used to
form patters for patter-matching purposes; is that what you want?

If not, then please explain further what you want. Are you starting with
actual length-2 lists of integers or, instead, lists of strings
representing those integers? Do you want the raw (5|6) type expression
or a string looking like that.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305