Re: NMinimize problem: fct minimized uses FindRoot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123547] Re: NMinimize problem: fct minimized uses FindRoot
  • From: Heike Gramberg <heike.gramberg at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 03:45:02 -0500 (EST)

To prevent NMinimize and FindMinimum from evaluating your function
symbolically, you could define MyNumFct according to

Clear[MyNumFct];
MyNumFct[optvar_?NumericQ] :=
 Module[{inteq, n}, inteq[x_] := (Sin[x] + 1/2*Cos[x])/optvar;
  n = n /. FindRoot[inteq[n], {n, 0.1}];
  Return[n + Sin[optvar]];]

Heike.