Re: How to run ".nb" file always in dos command line

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123630] Re: How to run ".nb" file always in dos command line
  • From: Chris Degnen <degnen at cwgsy.net>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 05:44:21 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

You can evaluate your notebook from the command line with a
procedure such as this.

Assuming your working directory is C:\temp\plot demo

create a text file C:\temp\plot demo\runplot.m containing this:

Needs["JLink`"];
$FrontEndLaunchCommand = "Mathematica.exe";
UseFrontEnd[
selected = Select[Notebooks[],
   CurrentValue[#, NotebookFileName] === "1.nb" &];
If[selected != {},
 targetnotebook = First@selected;
 SelectionMove[targetnotebook, All, Notebook];
 SelectionEvaluate[targetnotebook];
 ];
Exit[]];

Now to open your file from the command line.  I first put
Mathematica on the search path, just for the session (using
setlocal).  So, at the command line type or paste:

setlocal
PATH = C:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\8.0\;%PATH%
mathematica "C:\temp\plot demo\1.nb"

(Your DOS command "> 1.nb" did not work for me, so I used
mathematica "C:\temp\plot demo\1.nb")

Now you can evaluate the notebook with this command:

start MathKernel -noprompt -initfile "C:\temp\plot demo\runplot.m"

In case this is of interest, here are some references where
I have discussed similar applications on StackOverflow:-

Evaluating a notebook from the command line
http://tinyurl.com/evalnotebook

About kernel warning message from UseFrontEnd
http://tinyurl.com/uncaughtthrow

Starting and restarting kernels
http://tinyurl.com/restartkernel