Re: "Need tutor" scam on newsgroup?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123657] Re: "Need tutor" scam on newsgroup?
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 04:51:15 -0500 (EST)

On 14/12/2011 11:08, Oleksandr Rasputinov wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 10:53:43 -0000, Chris Young<cy56 at comcast.net>  wrote:
>
>> Just after posting something in reply to
>>
>>> 	From:	=E9=81=93 =E5=8E=9A<shlwell1988 at gmail.com>
>>> 	Newsgroups:	comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica
>>> 	Subject:	Complex diagram
>>> 	Date:	Wed, 7 Dec 2011 11:22:32 +0000 (UTC)
>>>
>>> Can we draw complex funtions's diagram in Mathematica?
>>>
>>> For example, draw the picture of z=2*x+I*3*y
>>
>> I got a request for a tutor that relied on the old
>> I-send-you-check-with-extra-and-you-send-difference scam.
>>

> Not surprising, considering that the messages posted to this list are
> archived in many places across the Internet (Wolfram's site, Google
> Groups, and MathKB to name three that I can think of immediately) complete
> with e-mail addresses. You would be well advised to use an e-mail account
> where you're not concerned about receiving spam, or at least a good spam
> filter. I doubt that your receipt of this message has anything to do with
> your reply to D=C3 oj=C3=B9.

I post using my real email in a form that requires a human to unscramble
it - I get very little spam.

I must say, when I saw that question originally, the wording looked odd,
so I left it alone!

I don't offer tutoring, but some years ago when I offered courses, I
insisted on standard payment methods. My consultancy work is done piece
by piece, and people pay after receiving each portion of results. This
avoids any disagreements, but I have lost a small amount of money to one
non-payer, and late payers can be a problem too!

I'd say any convoluted payment scheme, is essentially certain to be a scam!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk