Re: Printing Mathematica Notebooks and WYSIWYG

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123746] Re: Printing Mathematica Notebooks and WYSIWYG
  • From: Armand Tamzarian <mike.honeychurch at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 02:44:47 -0500 (EST)

On Dec 16, 9:52 pm, Gregory Lypny <gregory.ly... at videotron.ca> wrote:
> Hi Murray,
>
> Thank you for responding.  Not sure how to do that.  When I call up the
> stylesheet for a notebook, the styles apparently pertain to the working
> environment.  There does not seem to be any option to see the styles for
> printout.  A notebook's default font for text cells is Times 12-point
> in the working environment.  If I switch to the printout environment,
> the text cell font is Times 13.5 point, but that has no effect on
> printing, where it appears to print as 9 or 10 point.  I also opened the
> Option Inspector and searched for options with the word print, but
> nothing resembles one that would cause Mathematica to print in the
> apparent font size.
>
> Regards,
>
> Gregory
>
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011, at 6:50 AM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> > The Printout environment is different from the viewing environments
>
> (Working, Presentation,...). You may want to edit the style sheet and
> change the settings for the Printout environment there to suit your
> needs.

For some reason the default magnification for the "Printout" style is
0.72. Therefore a 12 point font would look like a 9 point font when
printed.

To change the Printout style you could edit the stylesheet and create
a new input cell and select the cell bracket and then go Cell > Show
Expression from the menu and paste in this:

Cell[StyleData[All, "Printout"],
 Magnification->1]

then do Cell > Show Expression again.

Alternatively you could set the print magnification locally in your
notebook with this:

SetOptions[EvaluationNotebook[],
 StyleDefinitions ->
  Notebook[{Cell[StyleData[StyleDefinitions -> "Default.nb"]],
    Cell[StyleData[All, "Printout"], Magnification -> 1]}]]

Mike