Re: Printing Mathematica Notebooks and WYSIWYG

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123796] Re: Printing Mathematica Notebooks and WYSIWYG
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 07:21:48 -0500 (EST)

On Dec 17, 2:48 am, Armand Tamzarian <mike.honeychu... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Dec 16, 9:52 pm, Gregory Lypny <gregory.ly... at videotron.ca> wrote:
>

> > Hi Murray,
>
> > Thank you for responding.  Not sure how to do that.  When I call up the
> > stylesheet for a notebook, the styles apparently pertain to the working
> > environment.  There does not seem to be any option to see the styles for
> > printout.  A notebook's default font for text cells is Times 12-point
> > in the working environment.  If I switch to the printout environment,
> > the text cell font is Times 13.5 point, but that has no effect on
> > printing, where it appears to print as 9 or 10 point.  I also opened the
> > Option Inspector and searched for options with the word print, but
> > nothing resembles one that would cause Mathematica to print in the
> > apparent font size.
>
> > Regards,
>
> > Gregory
>
> > On Thu, Dec 15, 2011, at 6:50 AM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> > > The Printout environment is different from the viewing environments
>
> > (Working, Presentation,...). You may want to edit the style sheet and
> > change the settings for the Printout environment there to suit your
> > needs.
>
> For some reason the default magnification for the "Printout" style is
> 0.72. Therefore a 12 point font would look like a 9 point font when
> printed.
>
> To change the Printout style you could edit the stylesheet and create
> a new input cell and select the cell bracket and then go Cell > Show
> Expression from the menu and paste in this:
>
> Cell[StyleData[All, "Printout"],
>  Magnification->1]
>
> then do Cell > Show Expression again.
>
> Alternatively you could set the print magnification locally in your
> notebook with this:
>
> SetOptions[EvaluationNotebook[],
>  StyleDefinitions ->
>   Notebook[{Cell[StyleData[StyleDefinitions -> "Default.nb"]],
>     Cell[StyleData[All, "Printout"], Magnification -> 1]}]]
>
> Mike

I have always been puzzled by this design choice by WRI. If one sets a
font size to be 12 point, it should be designed to print as 12 point.
Of course, these days, what appears on a screen (as compared to print)
is all over the map because the dot pitches of screens are all over
the map.  Because of this, wisywig is no longer true wisywig when
going from screen to print.  But, so long as one specifies a print
terminology such as "12 point" for a font (as opposed to "large",
"small", etc, which are subject to interpretation by a rendering
engine for a particular device), then 12 point should *print* as 12
point in my opinion.

Note that the magnification for the Printout environment is 0.72 in
default.nb while it is 0.8 in Core.nb (so Default.nb overrides Core.nb
due to the inheritance hierarchy).  Also note that the
PrintoutEnviornment value for the font size in the "Text" style for
Default.nb is 13.5.  So what one sees on the screen when in a the
printout environment in a Text cell is 13.5 * 0.72 = 9.72 points as it
appears at the dot pitch of your screen. The 13.5 point size for Text
cells does not apply for, for example, the Book/Textbook stylesheet.

Okay, so what can we learn from this? I am not sure if there is a
ptolemaic system of backward compatibility adjustments going on here
in the stylesheets or whether there is a clear, but complex design
model.  it would be nice to see the clear explanation.

By the way, I generally keep things set up so that, when I print, it
does not automatically use the Printout environment, but rather it
uses the Working environment...

--David