computing integral lines

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123916] computing integral lines
  • From: Dushan Mitrovich <dushanm at nnips.net>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 07:05:17 -0500 (EST)

I need to compute integral lines on a plane of a vector field which
itself is a numerical integral over a 3rd dimension.  Being fairly new
to Mathematica I'm not sure of the best way to go about this.

An obvious approach I'm trying is to start at a point (x0,y0), find the
field vector V0, project a short distance along it to a new point
(x1,y1), and find the field vector V1 there.  [This can be iterated to
improve accuracy by refining (x1,y1) to be projected along (V0+V1)/2.]
Using a For loop this procedure can be repeated to move along the
generated integral curve, and another enveloping For loop can move the
initial starting point to generate a family of integral curves.

But is there a better way to do this?  Does Mathematica already have a tool for
this operation?  Thanks.

- Dushan
   [ reverse the middle word of address to reply ]