Specifying Boundary condition for CellularAutomaton[]

I am writing an outer totalistic 2D CA. For my scenario the CA has a
fixed boundary.

Can I specify a boundary condition for a Outer Totalistic CA rule? Or
does the CA rules only applicable to periodic boundary conditions?

Is the only way to have a fixed boundary condition in the
CellularAutomation[] function is to use an explicit function to
speicfy the rule ?

{fun, {}, rspec} - general function f to apply to each list of
neighbors

Thanks!