Re: Mathematica 8 Home Edition

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116148] Re: Mathematica 8 Home Edition
  • From: Daniel Lichtblau <danl at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 05:31:57 -0500 (EST)

Matthias Bode wrote:
> Mr. Daniel Lichtblau, Wolfram Research, wrote:
>
> " ... "Mathematica Home Edition is a 32-bit program available for Windows
> XP/Vista/7), Mac OS X (Intel), and Linux. It is not licensed for
> commercial, nonprofit, academic, or government use." ... "

> "I ask because, for a product being discounted to around 15% of the
> professional price, these do not strike me as especially onerous
> conditions. In particular, I've yet to see the part about restrictions
> to which one would "commit others". Feel free to enlighten me."
>
> I do _not_ use my HOME EDITION of MATHEMATICA 8 commercially, I do _not_
> use it for or against government(s), I try to keep my work with
> MATHEMATICA as unacademic as possible - an easy task for me - but I had
> "to commit" my wife to pay me BOB 0.10 per hour of my use of said
> program in order to comply with the (slightly onerous) clause that
> prohibits "nonprofit use" as well. - I do not regard this special
> remuneration to be in conflict with the prohibition of "commercial use".
>
> Sincerely,
>
> *//*
> MATTHIAS BODE
> S 17.35775B0, W 066.14577=B0
> 2'740 m AMSL.
> [...]

I also at first glance had wondered about that restriction. The point is
that organizations, especially those with funding or generating revenue
(as do many not-for-profits), should not be using a product licensed for
home/amateur use. You are certainly welcome to use HE on your own, in a
volunteer capacity. If you can get your spouse to pay a nominal amount,
well, I suppose that's mildly commercial, but the only reaction it
evokes in me is envy.

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research

PS While I am happy you are not using HE against any governments, I do
ask that you notify us should that change. People here are always
interested in revolutionary uses of the product. (Ducks a tomato.)