Re: Mathematica 8 Home Edition

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116165] Re: Mathematica 8 Home Edition
  • From: Matthias Bode <lvsaba at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 05:35:11 -0500 (EST)

Mr. Daniel Lichtblau, Wolfram Research, wrote:

" ... "Mathematica Home Edition is a 32-bit program available for Windows
XP/Vista/7), Mac OS X (Intel), and Linux. It is not licensed for
commercial, nonprofit, academic, or government use." ... "

"I ask because, for a product being discounted to around 15% of the professional price, these do not strike me as especially onerous conditions. In particular, I've yet to see the part about restrictions to which one would "commit others". Feel free to enlighten me."

I do _not_ use my HOME EDITION of MATHEMATICA 8 commercially, I do _not_ use it for or against government(s), I try to keep my work with MATHEMATICA as unacademic as possible - an easy task for me - but I had "to commit" my wife to pay me BOB 0.10 per hour of my use of said program in order to comply with the (slightly onerous) clause that prohibits "nonprofit use" as well. - I do not regard this special remuneration to be in conflict with the prohibition of "commercial use".

Sincerely,

MATTHIAS BODE
S 17.35775=B0, W 066.14577=B0
2'740 m
AMSL.

> Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 06:07:35 -0500
> From: danl at wolfram.com
> Subject: [mg116099] Re: Mathematica 8 Home Edition
> To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
>
> AES wrote:
> > In article <ii5rii$fia$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
> >  Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu> wrote:
> >
> >> So far as I am aware, for a given version number, e.g., 8.0.0, the
> >> regular (i.e., "Professional") edition == Home Edition == Student Edit=
ion
> >> with respect to features.
> >>
> >> The two aspects that _may_ differ are: (1) kind of support provided by=

> >> Wolfram Research (beyond installation issues), and (2) whether some
> >> special identification of the edition appears on printed pages.
> >

> > And, the legal restrictions that you (purportedly!) agree to, and even=

> > commit others to, when you purchase and use the Home Edition.
> >
> > Last time I looked at the fine print of these was several years ago, bu=
> > my reaction at that time was that they were as extensive as they were=

> > dismaying as they were stupid as they were unenforceable.
>
> If you go to the order page,
>
> https://www.wolfram.com/securecheckout/?model==MHED100D&use_type==Home Ed=
ition

> there is the following note
>
> "Mathematica Home Edition is a 32-bit program available for Windows
> (XP/Vista/7), Mac OS X (Intel), and Linux. It is not licensed for
> commercial, nonprofit, academic, or government use. For those who want
> to integrate Mathematica into their teaching, research, or work,
> Mathematica Professional is always available."
>
> There is a legalese version of this in the license agreement. In essence=

> it spells out that the product is solely for personal use and NOT for
> commercial use. It is about as brief as the above; I'd show it, except I=

> only have it in a scanned pdf and I cannot cut-paste the text.
>
> Is this the point of controversy? I ask because, for a product being
> discounted to around 15% of the professional price, these do not strike=

> me as especially onerous conditions. In particular, I've yet to see the=

> part about restrictions to which one would "commit others". Feel free to=

> enlighten me.
>
> Daniel Lichtblau
> Wolfram Research

--_1d26c246-b3f2-4fb4-9289-cf6e54017414_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt;
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
Mr. Daniel Lichtblau, Wolfram Research, wrote:<br><br>" ... "Mathematic=
a Home Edition is a 32-bit program available for Windows<br>XP/Vista/7), =
Mac OS X (Intel), and Linux. It is not licensed for<br>commercial, nonp=
ause, for a product being discounted to around 15% of the professional pr=
ice, these do not strike me as especially onerous conditions. In particul=
ar, I've yet to see the part about restrictions to which one would "commi=
t others". Feel free to enlighten me."<br><br>I do _not_ use my HOME EDITIO=
N of MATHEMATICA 8 commercially, I do _not_ use it for or against governm=
ent(s), I try to keep my work with MATHEMATICA as unacademic as possible =
- an easy task for me - but I had "to commit" my wife to pay me BOB 0.10 pe=
r hour of my use of said program in order to comply with the (slightly oner=
ous) clause that prohibits "nonprofit use" as well. - I do not regard this =
special remuneration to be in conflict with the prohibition of "commercial =
, W 066.14577=B0<br>2'740 m
AMSL.</font></div>
5 -0500<br>&gt; From: danl at wolfram.com<br>&gt; Subject: [mg116099] Re: =
Mathematica 8 Home Edition<br>&gt; To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net<br>&gt; <=
br>&gt; AES wrote:<br>&gt; &gt; In article &lt;ii5rii$fia$1 at smc.vne=
t.net&gt;,<br>&gt; &gt;  Murray Eisenberg &lt;murray at math.umass.e=
du&gt; wrote:<br>&gt; &gt; <br>&gt; &gt;&gt; So far as I am awa=
re, for a given version number, e.g., 8.0.0, the <br>&gt; &gt;&=
gt; regular (i.e., "Professional") edition = Home Edition = Student=
 Edition <br>&gt; &gt;&gt; with respect to features.<br>&gt; &gt;=
&gt;<br>&gt; &gt;&gt; The two aspects that _may_ differ are: (1) ki=
nd of support provided by <br>&gt; &gt;&gt; Wolfram Research (beyond =
installation issues), and (2) whether some <br>&gt; &gt;&gt; specia=
l identification of the edition appears on printed pages.<br>&gt; &gt; =
(purportedly!) agree to, and even <br>&gt; &gt; commit others to, w=
hen you purchase and use the Home Edition.<br>&gt; &gt; <br>&gt; &gt=
; Last time I looked at the fine print of these was several years ago, =
but <br>&gt; &gt; my reaction at that time was that they were as extens=
ive as they were <br>&gt; &gt; dismaying as they were stupid as they we=
t; <br>&gt; https://www.wolfram.com/securecheckout/?model=MHED100D&am=
p;use_type=Home Edition<br>&gt; <br>&gt; there is the following not=
e<br>&gt; <br>&gt; "Mathematica Home Edition is a 32-bit program availa=
ble for Windows<br>&gt; (XP/Vista/7), Mac OS X (Intel), and Linux. It=
 is not licensed for<br>&gt; commercial, nonprofit, academic, or go=
vernment use. For those who want<br>&gt; to integrate Mathematica into th=
eir teaching, research, or work,<br>&gt; Mathematica Professional i=
s always available."<br>&gt; <br>&gt; There is a legalese version of th=
is in the license agreement. In essence <br>&gt; it spells out that the p=
roduct is solely for personal use and NOT for <br>&gt; commercial use. It=
 is about as brief as the above; I'd show it, except I <br>&gt; only =
have it in a scanned pdf and I cannot cut-paste the text.<br>&gt; <br>&gt=
; Is this the point of controversy? I ask because, for a product being =
ot strike <br>&gt; me as especially onerous conditions. In particular, =
I've yet to see the <br>&gt; part about restrictions to which one would "=

--_1d26c246-b3f2-4fb4-9289-cf6e54017414_--