Mathematica 8 install - ListPlot not working

I have installed Mathematica 8 on a Windows 7 laptop.  I tried to do ListPlot of data, but instead of plotting, Mathematica displays a grey radio box with the word ListPlot in it.  In the function, ListPlot is black and appears to be recognized.  How do I get this to work?  I understand that in Mathematica 8, ListPlot is built-in and does not require a separate package.  I am working in a project directory and not the Mathematica directory. - Thanks, Kurt