Re: plotting a curve in 3D from data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116346] Re: plotting a curve in 3D from data
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 04:18:05 -0500 (EST)

On 2/10/11 at 5:23 AM, robertr at math.uh.edu (Robert Rosenbaum) wrote:

>I have a sequence of points that trace out a curve in 3D space.  I'd
>like to plot this curve. ListPlot3D only seems good for plotting 2D
>surfaces.

>Is there an easy way to plot curves in 3D from data? Something like
>what one would expect ListPointPlot3D[..., Joined->True] to produce.

I don't understand. Your comment above makes it seem that you
are aware of ListPointPlot3D. If so, what is it about
ListPointPlot3D that isn't doing what you need? That is

ListPointPlot3D[Table[{Cos[t], Sin[t], Sqrt[t]}, {t, 0, 4 Pi, 0.2}],
  BoxRatios -> Automatic]

is plot for "a sequence of points that trace out a curve in 3D space".