Re: Another point about Mathematica 8.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116549] Re: Another point about Mathematica 8.0
  • From: "Hans Michel" <hmichel at cox.net>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 05:13:45 -0500 (EST)

AES:

Please see on your own institution's website that sells academic software.

http://acomp.stanford.edu/software
http://www.stanford.edu/services/techtraining/techexpress/media/software_lic
ensing2.ppt
https://www.stanford.edu/group/bookstore/SUprices/softwarecart.html

The home edition model came out of faculty working at different hours of the
day can complete their work by purchasing a cheaper "home edition" with some
vague licensing terms. Businesses want people to use their software. Same
model holds for developers version of software. They license it to you in
hopes that you develop software and when or if your project takes-off you
did not have to plopped down a lot of money. But when you do publish (sell)
your application you should make certain that your application is compliant
to any licensing issues.

Nonprofit (not-for-profit?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonprofit_organization) organizations are
allowed to make money. Just stipulation on routing that profit. So if you
moonlight for a nonprofit and they are a client who is to say they could not
pay you $2000 for your newsletter work?

You are in a boundary value problem. Home Edition with one client. At which
point should licensing agreements be enforced, Home Edition X client? Solve
for X.

Most people who have gray area issues solve it by doing what is best for
them, they don't usually try to change the rules. Is it breaking is it
bending the rules, call it what you want.

Your own institution sells academic "home version" of QuarkExpress a DTP
software. I believe that their intent is for you to do work related to
school, say if you are taking a graphics class, not for you to have 20
clients, but because you got the "home edition" at a lower rate should not
matter. The assumption is when you get successful at using the application
and you have some money coming in you will be a full customer of said DTP
software maker. There are free DTP software out there that would allow one
to write a family newsletter, one would not have to use Quark.

I brought Mathematica at student discount >20 years ago. When I graduated I
switch the license to the full version, paid the upgrade price. I have
worked in places that offer the home edition, but I have always maintained
my licensed copy.

If you are saying that the home edition model that WRI has adopted for
hobbyist, not affiliated with any institution to reduce the introductory
price of the software for the occasional user, is wrong. Then say that. What
model would you propose? Any business or expert should be willing to listen
to advice, but they don't have to take it or give you access to their time.

Hans