Re: Another point about Mathematica 8.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116582] Re: Another point about Mathematica 8.0
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 05:27:48 -0500 (EST)

In article <ijo52o$ld5$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 2/18/11 at 4:37 AM, siegman at stanford.edu (AES) wrote:
>
> >Can anyone (Wolfram employees in particular) point me to any other
> >consumer software product that requires purchasers to promise to
> >limit the tasks that they will perform using the standard, built-in,
> >non-crippled capabilities of the software?
>
> >(Tasks that the software is designed and intended to do; and a
> >promise that is legally binding, and can, at least in theory, be
> >legally enforced and lead to penalties.)
>
> I am not aware of any software license that has restrictions as
> you've indicated above including the license for Mathematica.

      Mathematica's Home Edition seems to have just such
      restrictions (whether expressed via a "license" or in some
      other form I'm not sure).

      And, another poster has noted that BBEdit attaches some
      "noncommercial use only" restrictions to its Student Edition
      (priced at $49) compared to its regular edition (at $99).

> Such restrictions seem totally inane and very unlikely to be
> enforceable in any manner.

      Agree totally.