Re: Color grid with x and y args to visualize effects of 2D

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116584] Re: Color grid with x and y args to visualize effects of 2D
  • From: "Christopher O. Young" <cy56 at comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 04:19:14 -0500 (EST)

Finally got a fast grid plot going, thanks to Heike's suggestion to use
ParameterPlot with two parameters and the right Hue ranges.

The following puts up a window with two sliders for visualizing the effects
of a twist added to a rotation, a kind of "pinwheel" effect.

Manipulate[ParametricPlot[
  ( {
     {Cos[(1 + \[ScriptK] Sqrt[u^2 + v^2]) \[Theta]],
     -Sin[(1 + \[ScriptK] Sqrt[u^2 + v^2]) \[Theta]]},
     {Sin[(1 + \[ScriptK] Sqrt[u^2 + v^2]) \[Theta]],
      Cos[(1 + \[ScriptK] Sqrt[u^2 + v^2]) \[Theta]]}
    } ).( {
     {u},{v}
    } ), {v, 0, 1}, {u, 0, 1},
  Mesh -> {20, 20},
  MeshShading -> Table[
    Hue[h, s, 1],
    {h, Range[0, 0.85, 0.85/20]},
    {s, Range[0.1, 1, 0.9/20]}
    ],
  MeshStyle -> None,
  Axes -> False,
  Frame -> False,
  BoundaryStyle -> None,
  PlotStyle -> {Opacity[0.1]}
  ],
 {\[Theta], 0, 2 \[Pi]}, {\[ScriptK], 0, 4}
 ]

A notebook and a picture and are at:

http://home.comcast.net/~cy56/TwistingRotation.nb and
http://home.comcast.net/~cy56/TwistingRotation.png

Wish I could put the rotation into a single function, but then it won't
perform the matrix multiplication correctly.