Re: outputting C code

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116744] Re: outputting C code
  • From: Oliver Ruebenkoenig <ruebenko at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 06:38:41 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011, HonestMath wrote:

> Thank you for your reply, I studied the examples you presented.
>
> It looks like I am able to create some code for external use.
> However, I wonder if enough code is generated or if some is in byte
> code for that platform.  Let me elaborate.  I want to know if it is
> possible to create a function that calls built-in Mathematica
> functions, and use this in an external software package.

Yes and no; for example Sin[] is a build in function and you can compile
that, however, NDSolve[] is also a build in function and you can not
compile that one. If you can compile the functions in question then you
can generate C code. To check if the compiled code needs a call back to
the M- evaluator, I usually use CompilePrint and see if there is a call to
MainEvaluate.

> For example,  if I have an application meant for use on an Android
> device, is it possible for Mathematica to give me all I need to
> generate a Java library, or C source code that can be compiled for a
> Java device?  As compilation is device dependent, it seems it might be
> limited to the device on which Mathematica is running.  If you have
> Mathematica for Windows, it generates Windows code, if on a Mac, it
> generates Mac code.  Is this correct, or is there a way to get all I
> need to run on an Android, Palm, or iphone?
>
> Cheers!

Oh, this is definitely out of my turf... Here are some notes on how to
build for a different target system

CCompilerDriver/tutorial/Compilation#8215639
And the section on setting the compiler.

Oliver