Re: Emacs with Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116801] Re: Emacs with Mathematica
  • From: Sebastian <sebhofer at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 05:02:25 -0500 (EST)

I also miss a lot of editing features from emacs in the Mathematica
UI, especially matching of parentheses, indentation and such. These
features would really boost productivity for me. I really find it sad
that Wolfram doesn't work on the interface at all (at least it seems
so to me).
I tried the Mathematica modes for emacs but found them pretty unuseful
for everyday work, although they may be useful for writing packages.
A few shortcuts can be customized by modifying KeyEventTranslations.tr
(located in [Mathematica Dir]/SystemFiles/FrontEnd/TextResources/X/
under Linux). The syntax is pretty straightforward and can easily be
deduced by reading the file. Note that you have to avoid keybinding
conflicts, otherwise your customized shortcuts may not work. Also look
at MenuSetup.tr for existing keybindings.

HTH
Sebastian